Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc.
Folk Dancing is for Everybody!
Folk dancers come in assorted shapes, heritages, sizes, and occupations from cooks and teachers to bus drivers, elementary school children, even great-grandmas and grandpas.
Dances vary in difficulty from simple walking steps to the most intricate of floor patterns. Singles are delighted to find that there are many "line dances" that don't require partners. Couples enjoy learning new steps together.
Best of all, folk dancing is fun and sociable and great exercise.
Folk dancing today is a major recreational activity that is shared with millions of people around the world.
How Did It All Begin?
Since the very beginning, people have been dancing--in the fields, in the home, in the courts of royalty, in the churches just about everywhere.
Wherever people felt the need to express themselves in rhythmic movement, there was folk dance . . . the sheer joy of getting up and moving to song and music.
Within the last few generations the United States has beome a repository of the world's folk culture and folk dances.
Benefits of Membership
- Make new friends,
- Learn new dances,
- Be eligible for scholarships to folk dance camps and institutes,
- Gain acess to video and print libraries to research authentic dances, music, and costumes,
- Be covered by dance insurance.
The Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc.
is a non-profit organization dedicated to the enjoyment of international folk dancing and related arts--and to the promotion of a spirit of friendship.
The Federation has member clubs from Santa Maria to the Mexican border. Activities include:
- Festivals in varying locations,
- Assistance in the formation of folk dance groups,
- Institutes and conferences featuring master teachers,
- Workshops and teacher training,
- Costume and folklore research,
- Publication of the magazine Folk Dance Scene.
For information about a club near you,
see the Clubs section of the
Federation website (www.socalfolkdance.org).